Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blue Man Group

I'm afraid that I just blue myself-Tobias Funke

Somehow, I missed the phenomenon known as the Blue Man Group.  They've been around almost 20 years and all I'd ever seen is parodies on tv and all over pop culture.  One of the funniest parodies (ever, not just of Blue Man) was David Cross being an "understudy" for them on Arrested Development, but thats another review.

If you have no idea what the Blue Man Group is, let me try to explain.  3 men dressed in bald skull caps, painted blue, and with black clothing do live performance pieces.  Some are music centric, some are alternative music making (playing pvc pipes), some are art focused (catching paint balls in your mouth and using them to create a painting), some even have audience participation.  It's loud, funny, cool, and interesting.  They even use some of the pieces to deliver facts about our multitasking, over-teched out world, or facets of how the human body works.  Did I mention the three guys do everything completely silently, helped only by the band, instruments, and an occasional narrator?

For years, everyone I've ever heard go to it has said how mind blowing and amazing it was.  They acted like it blew their brains out. Well, that hype is oversold.  If you have had any background in biology, you know the human body facts.  Also if you're a nerd, odds are you know most of the tech stats are completely true.  Nothing new there.

But should you go see it?
Absofuckinlutely

It may not be "revolutionary" now? But when they started? Shit like this was new.  Its also cool as hell, it's the most entertained I've been in awhile.  The performances (keeping a straight face through this has to be a challenge), humor (family friendly, but still damn funny), lights (felt like Tron a good portion of the time), music (the highlight for me, I really dug the percussion focused composed songs they had which is odd because I usually hate instrumentals), and all around absurdity of everything just work together to make for a very chill (but uptempo), fun couple of hours.  Grab some friends, and go check them out when they tour near you.


Checking my garage for stuff I can make instruments out of
-Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment