Monday, March 25, 2013

Watsky-Cardboard Castles


You ever have one of those moments where you feel like you're witnessing unappreciated genius?



What? You've never heard of Watsky? Shame on you for being a denizen of the internet and not being aware of this kid.

Let's begin with a picture.



So nerdy and preppy looking.  What genius could this kid have? 

Go ahead and listen.  The blog will be here when you get back.  
1. If you're not impressed get the fuck out of here.
2. If you think it's a camera trick, watch the cat. This isn't falsely sped up.  He's actually intelligibly rapping that quickly.

Sure he's sampling Busta Rhymes but he's a kid in his bedroom who wrote his own amusing rap to that beat, sounding nothing like the Busta song. I had actually seen this years ago and completely forgotten about him.

Then I got into a series: Epic Rap Battles of History...

I had the exact same reaction the first time I heard the second Shakespeare verse

This was enough to have me intrigued by this strange white kid.  Who the hell is he and why had I never seen him before?

I quickly found out that he actually started out as a spoken word poet.  When people weren't viewing his videos that much, he decided to put his "pale kid raps fast video" on the channel.  Suddenly, people drawn to his rap were listening to his spoken word.  I'm not ashamed to say this guy's poetry hits me right in the gut, heart, and mind (I need to listen to more of it).  Maybe its the place I'm at in life, maybe it's we have a similar story (different kids who found a place to shine and be proud of it), or maybe he's just the perfect combination of insight, humor, and nerdiness to make me pay attention.  His stuff is genius.  His use of language baffles me.  He tells a story, with a message, in a structure that makes it flow so well.  He picks precise, perfect words to describe the truth and the emotion all at once.  No music.  Just him.  I've never really enjoyed spoken word before, but this is one of my favorite things I've found in a long time.

A couple of weeks ago, he dropped a new album.  I was fervently checking for it to drop but had work the next day so I couldn't do the midnight thing.  I also wanted time to digest it before talking about it.  So here we go folks.  If you ever read my Eminem blogs (can be found at the-bunker.net), what I do is take the album track by track. I'll give you some lines I dig, talk about it, go to the next one.  At the end I'll give you Must Listen tracks and my overall impressions.  Ready?

Fireworks
Key Lines:
It’s hard to be living
You gotta play the cards you were given
You think it’s simple but it goddamn isn’t

Wait! I’m a pale ass pale middle-class straight white male
I won’t have an alibi the day I fail.

Cause you can make a dream possible
But it’ll never be easy, no matter what you chase
If you wanna poke fun then do so
I’ll do it for you, it’s no crime
I’m like if the dude from Juno grew a Jewfro and liked to rhyme
So tell me that I’m not a rapper
Tell Rudolph he can’t pull sleighs
Tell pluto it’s not a planet
And he’ll probably keep spinning in the same old way
On and on, every day
Right around the sun, wanna feel the rays

You do it ‘cause you love it like nothing else in the universe
And fuck it, it’s embedded in your DNA


The song starts with what sounds like a skit and I get concerned. I'm not a huge skits guy and then "Fireworks" (see what he did there?) begin to blow up..in a pretty cool rhythm that sounds like a drumline.  Looking at the lyrics, it's a message I've been a firm believer in for a few years now.  In our country, we start telling kids from a young age "You can be anything you want! Dream it and you can do it!  That's all you have to do."  Those of you out there like me remember the day you realized that shit just wasn't true.   You have to work for those dreams, and even then sometimes it's not enough.  So should we just stop dreaming and be realists and just "get by and pay the bills" for the rest of our lives?  Fuck no.  What we love, what we're passionate about is ingrained in us.  It's not something we chose, its something we are.  Its a state of being.  No matter how many times you get told "You can't" "You're not" and "Why?" you respond with "watch me" "Not yet" and "Why not?" So if you can't tell from that rambling, I like the lyrics here.  Musically the beats interesting and his lyrics flow with it.  He's got some awesome drops built into the beat that sound just like bottle rockets and the fizzling of fireworks.  Really digging it.  The song ends with a conversation with a kid that seems very real and heartfelt.  Is this the best song I've ever heard? No but it's a damn good intro track to get you ready for the rest of the album.

Strong as an Oak
Key Lines:
Because beer is cheap
And because love is free
I’m buzzin’ feeling like every friend is a cousin, G
And someday we’ll be reminiscing on some wasn’t we

Why should I sit on my ass on the couch and be asking why life isn’t equal?

I’m sick of the image I’m living my life and I’m doing it my way
I’d rather be making the choices I’m proud of than chasing a mountain of money
But if that mountain comes to me, I’m climbing it

Because when I make it then I dedicate it to the friends I stayed with
Who would do me favors even lend me paper when I couldn’t pay for a little takeout
And to the fact
That whatever you think that it means
I be here and I’m living my dreams
And it’s ‘cause of the people I leaned on when I came apart at the seams.

We get to track 2 and a mellow acoustic guitar comes in with the beat to give this a very reggae/old school ska type feel.  Before he ever starts talking, you can tell this is going to be an optimistic, uplifting song.  The lyrics are pretty much Watsky being the anti-traditional rapper.  Instead of throwing out a bunch of verses about how many albums he'll sell, or how many bitches he'll get..he talks about being broke and his friends.  How his friends helped him up and give him the support he needs to keep going after his dream.  The 2 lines I quoted really hit home for me after some events in my life this past year.  I also love the realness "Look, I'm not going to tell you I'd turn down the money if it comes".  Who the fuck would? Hipsters claim they would but realistically, I don't see it happening  The beat's not innovative or anything but the instruments throughout some type of horn, I'm not all that versed in my brass instruments) and his lyrics more than make up for it as you listen to the words work with the guitar.  It's also catchy as all hell and you'll be singing it for a week.  Definitely one I wouldn't skip.  Also, I could see this one getting a little bit of radio play in the right places.  

Moral of the Story
Key Lines:
If you got a goal you gotta hold onto what hope is
If I didn’t have it I would ask you where the rope is

Burgundy, work until I earn that rich mahogany


‘Cause waiting doesn’t work, and praying may not come through

And hoping doesn’t work. So I will be the one to work

Track 3 is the new "motivational" song that's been really common in rap music over the past decade (think Kanye's Stronger or Nelly's #1).  The tone changes a bit as this one is a little less laid back than the first two tracks and Watsky comes with a little bit of an attitude at people who don't work for their dreams.  Maybe some people would be bothered by the Black and Yellow and Anchorman references but I don't mind it.  The beat fits the lyrics with a driving march and the lyrics do the same.  Not a ton to say about this one.  Still good though.


Ugly Faces

Key Lines:
And I’m sure that every girl is a pearl and the world is a perfect globe

'Cept that it’s a Subaru, and I’m yelling hoodie hoo!

Hanging out the window like I’m Marty McFly
A lot of the chickens in the flock wanna squawk and they get obnoxious
And all I hear is bawk bawk


This one is a little odd after the first 3 tracks.  To me it's a dark humor track with tons of pop culture references.  According to Rapgenius (where Watsky released the album early and put up explanations for some of the lyrics), Watsky explained the chorus to this one as being inspired by a Calvin and Hobbes strip.  I'm down with that.  I like the beat on this one but for me this song never quite comes together.  The lyrics flow well and its crazy fast and in beat, but they just don't really have a message like his other songs did.  I know not every song has to be real and full of philosophy, its just placed in a really weird spot and the transition is a little jarring.


Skit #1

I usually hate skits on albums but I find whoever this kid he's got on here (guessing his cousin from the lyrics of the last track) pretty damn funny and Watsky and him plan a surprise attack on his bully.  What I like though is the skit ends abruptly and the next track starts.  Pay attention rap game, thats how skits should be used.

Kill A Hipster

Key Lines:

Wrote congress (it did no good)

Read scripture (it did no good)
You could take a picture or knock on wood
(fuck that) kill a hipster (Save your hood!)

Living no rules—Calvinball


I sprinkle you with some goat cheese
I get it straight from the fuckin’ farm


Look in the mirror and it’s clear I’ve become one of ‘em
Kill me please if I’m one of ‘em
I walk the block like I’m hot shit
I gentrified the corner store just buying hot chips


This one has a latin influence and you can tell just from the beat drop.  Basically its a tongue in cheek poem telling people to protect their neighborhood from the likes of middle class uppity suburban kids.  The hipster bane on America.  The goat cheese straight from the fuckin farm is one of the funniest lines I've heard in a long time.  Then when the hipster guitar joins in, I crack up.  While I agree with some hipster tastes, the trick is in how much they discuss how mainstream things are.  At the end Watsky admits to being somewhat hipster and asks if it becomes full fledged to just kill him.  I kinda like to see this as an attempt at his own version of "The Real Slim Shady."  The flow isn't the best on the album but it works with the beat so no complaints here. 



Hey, Asshole

Key Lines:

Got the power of my will
I don’t needa to win a mil
But I’m looking at window sill
Gotta take a bitter pill
Gonna pay for what I did to my head and my heart’ll foot the bill
Got a foot in my mouth and because I’m kicking myself I developed a habit of knocking out my front tooth


Knew if was tough, but dammit it’s obscene
I been huffing and puffing up to the top of the summit and I’ma rough it if I have enough steam
I’ll keep on coming and coming until I’m coming with the stamina of a salmon who’s heading upstream


So I almost quoted the entire song on this one.  First of all, this is how guest stars should be used. Kate Nash brings a nice little flavor with her part of the chorus and it fits the melancholy yet determined mood well.  The lyrics break down Watsky's struggles and insecurities about life in general.  You can have so many great things in your life, yet sometimes it's just hard to lift your head.  He raises the question everyone is really afraid to ask of their life "What if I'm never happy?"  Most people would leave it at that but he continues the verses to lead to the ending of "Well, so what, I'm going to keep trying."  I love this song because it's realistic and optimistic at the same time and similar to my own life philosophy.  It's a hard balance to hit but Watsky nails it here.  I love the flow here and the acoustic guitar is back, with almost a Princess Bride inspired riff.  Yeah.  This is a MUST LISTEN.



All I Need is One

Key Lines: 
It used to be I’d get afraid and I’d drive
Going forward’s always been the only place I can hide


I’ll take everything you give me
But don’t pity me, there’s people living on a single kidney


Time isn’t a sacred cow
And I’m willing to take it down to the final minute or second, milking my last one
Going up for a take and I’m itching for action



Here we get Watsky's version of Lose Yourself.  Sorry about the Eminem comparisons folks, he's just picking similar themes to some really big Eminem songs.  What I like lyrically here is Watsky not only is inspiring himself here but calling out all people who think they're on the edge of their last shot.  He tells them to get up and give it a shot.  You have a drop left in the tank? Use it till it's out.  Love these lyrics once again and the flow gets ridiculously cool in the 2nd verse.  The beat is sort of a marching driving beat, something that makes you want to stand up and fight (Think Kanye-Jesus Walks).  It fits the lyrics perfectly and I'm digging this one.  I'll give it the MUST LISTEN tag.



Tiny Glowing Screens Pt. 1

Key Lines:
I’ve seen a person go to shows and raise a lighter app
But if you’re at my concert please don’t ever try that crap
Let’s set fire to the heavens
Turn the motherfucking speakers to 11, this is Spinal Tap


It really tastes like chicken when I bite the hand that feeds me


We be greedy and it’s tragic that we yawn
We got every gadget but don’t care there’s magic in our palm


And I can’t tell our little victories from epic fails
It’s either heaven or hell and I can’t make heads or tails


This one is Watsky's plea to society to realize the insanity of the technology in the world we live.  We constantly have access to literally every piece of information at any times.  We don't need a library.  We don't need anything besides a few bucks and a hand held rechargeable electronic.  That's truly phenomenal.  Much like Watsky in this song, I'm not sure if it's necessarily a good thing.  Family dinners are turning into WikiWars.  Conversations are converting to texts and emails to the point where some people think it's rude to give the personal touch of a call.  Watsky's main point is we're starting to remove ourselves from all things meaningful with the laziness and ADD our attachment to our electronics has given us.  I love my laptops, my xbox, my phone...but damn if he's not right.  The beat's got a heavy industrial feel to it making it sound like gadgets are being used throughout and the lyrics flow with it.  No questions about it, this one is a MUST LISTEN.

Tiny Glowing Screens Pt. 2

This spoken word piece is fucking beautiful, heartbreaking, profound and funny all at once.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  MUST LISTEN.


Sloppy Seconds

Key Lines:

Fuck you if you love a car for its paint job
Love you if you love a car for the road trips



Show me someone who says they got no baggage
I'll show you somebody whose got no story

And there is not a single place that I would rather be
I'm fucked up just like you are, and you're fucked up just like me

Yet another song I'm really digging (this is a really strong stretch of the album).  This is Watsky continuing the theme he started about everyone being connected.  We've all got our story and our baggage.  It's time to admit that. Own your story.  Tell it again.  It sucks, it may hurt, but do it anyway.  Shit, I need to listen to some of my own advice.  Anyway:  I like the message here but it doesn't have the same punch the last couple songs had so I think it suffers a bit from its placement.  The beats pretty catchy and easy to bop along to and fits the positive spin even though the world can be shitty sometimes feel.  The flow's alright although periodic singing throws me off.  The girl singing in this sounds pretty good too.


Dedicated to Christina Li

Key Lines:
The first time I went back to homeroom from the hospital
I thought that being more embarrassed was impossible
But God, the second time it really turned my stomach
Now I’m the kid who collapses and then spazzes out in public


I didn’t like the pity from Christina Li though
I’m thinking “Crissie, can’t you see I’m busy being emo?”


She knew the whole time, and never said why
She felt my pain herself and helped me hold my head high
The nicest folks are those who know the throes of crisis



Maybe growing up disabled makes me partial to this song, but this thing is beautiful.  Watsky tells the story of him growing up and a girl who reached out to him after he went to the hospital for a couple of seizures.  After slightly ignoring her and moving on, years later he ends up at her wake and finds out she had a heart defect.  Having been in and out of hospitals her whole life, she knew exactly what it was like and wanted to help support Watsky in a time she knew most wouldn't.  What I love about this song is it's a true story, that forced Watsky to re-evaluate himself,  but told with a great flow and poetic flair.  The beats pretty mellow and the flow isn't crazy fast but that's not the point of this song.  Watsky wanted to let the world know about a person who has helped shape him and wanted to insure everyone heard every last word. ABSOLUTE MUST LISTEN




Skit #2

Yay another properly used skit!  Watsky and his 8 year old cousin discuss the perils of turning 10.  Good transition into the next song, not much else to it.



The Legend of Hardhead Ned

Key Lines:
Ned survived by the slightest luck, he wasn’t a dead baby, Neddy was alive as fuck!

This feels like a joke track to me to break up some of the emotion wrenching that Watsky had been doing on the album.  This is the story of Ned, who was dropped on his head then raised by Australian wildlife until the forest was cut down.  He then becomes a breakdance in New York City.  Ridiculous and rather silly, but it's a good transitory track.  The beat and flow are fine but the Narrator telling the story in an Australian accent just throws me off again.  Moving on.

Cardboard Castles

Key Lines:
This life’s our greatest project
The journey’s all an art


I focus on what I can make and not what just got ruined
‘Cause every stone will crumble down to dust, to dust, to dust
And I say love thy neighbor, and I say fuck thy hater
There’s nothing I can’t solve with duct tape and construction paper


I still gotta believe people
Are good at the core
‘Cause if we weren’t, what’s at stake?
Why would we stay to break what we make
And create all these beautiful mistakes


The beginning singing in this sounds like something so familiar and I'm not sure what.  Perhaps the buzzards in the Jungle Book?  Anyway, this one was written when Watsky thought he had found his home and went from couch surfing, to a new place, to foreclosed on again.  Yet through it all, he remains focused on what he can do and not what he can't.  And as easy as it would be to give up and just say fuck the world he instead says "This place is still beautiful." We could all probably learn a little from this guy's optimism.  Just saying.  The beat and flow fit the tone and continue the laid back, profound "lift you up" message of the album.  I'll give this a MUST LISTEN.  I really dig it.


Send in the Sun

Key Lines:
Cause there ain’t no suffering in life
That don’t ease with the passage of time


Everybody wants the sun to come and cure their rough moods but suns need love too


So all my lightweights and barflies, let’s raise a pint each time a star dies
And toast the memory of hard lives
Filed on the interstellar hard drives and archives


Yet another interesting song lyrically. Basically, this just calls out the people who always want help but never give it.  All people at one point or another need to be the sun and need to be the receiver of the light.  That sounds like the end of a Zelda game, sorry about that.  We keep a mellow beat and the flow doesn't go crazy with the speed and I like that.  The end of this song gives a tribute to everyone who's ever had a rough go of things, which is what I feel like this album was truly about.  Not my favorite song on the album, but a fitting ending.






Dent in the Moon (Bonus track)
Key Lines:
Papa put a bat in my hand and all he said was never ever, ever, ever rock a Dodger hat

It was in the cards
I knew someday I’d be a big league star
Playing second base for the Giants wearing number 9 rocking knee-high socks
If I just worked hard


It’s silly to give a shit about a game but earth
Is a little ball that’s spinning on its axis—too


So here we get Watsky's love letter to baseball and I understand why it's a bonus track.  While it's catchy and has his usual flair, it really didn't fit the tone of the rest of the album.  Not bad though.  I don't really have a lot to say about this one.




Must Listen Tracks: Strong as an Oak, Hey Asshole, All I Need is One, Tiny Glowing Screens Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, Dedicated to Christina Li, Cardboard Castles


Overall Impression:  This album impresses me so much because it takes a lot of individual elements that shouldn't work together and makes it into a coherent piece of art. This record stays grounded in reality, yet has a whimsical quality. It sees the glass half full, but doesn't hesitate to acknowledge it sucks the other half is gone. The lyrics range from deeply profound to fart jokes.  The beats can make you want to dance or cry along with it. His simple telling of a story can wrench your heart, and other tracks make you just want to act goofy.  Yet through all the paradigm shifts (my 8th grade teacher would be proud) and tone changes, the album has a clear uplifting tone and a general message of Winston Churchill fame.  "If you're going through hell, keep going."  There are others out there who commiserate, find them, hear their story, and be connected to this world.  Have a drink and Don't Panic.


I love it.


Mr. Watsky, you have my full attention after this album.  The rest of the world should notice too.


You guys have no idea how many day's I've been writing this,

-Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment