Sunday, June 30, 2013

Surgeon Simulator 2013

Yay Bandwagons.

Story time Kids.  At some point last year I was pointed to videos of a game programmed in 48 hours.  A British team of devs had made a ridiculously hard demo of a not quite realist heart transplant simulator, calling it Surgeon Simulator.  You're given control of one hand, and your five fingers, with a variety of odd tools (hammers are a valuable surgery tool) and told to get this mans heart out and drop a new one in.  Don't worry, you dont have to sew him back up or anything.  Just drop it in right side up. Close enough right?

I watched various rage videos of internet celebrities playing this game and laughed my ass off.  I then forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago when I was hanging with some friends.  With one of them being in medical school, and one being OCD about things he can't beat in video games, we proceeded to grab the demo.  Oddly enough, my first shot at the demo took me around 5 minutes.  I thought I was done.

Turns out I got lucky as I could never replicate this time frame again.  My friends each struggled and eventually beat the demo.  This game took me by surprise as I didn't expect it to be addicting.  I found myself despite frustrating controls and a pure lack of sense, wanting to keep playing to see if I could do it again.

After the runaway succes of the demo, the same devs took 48 days to make a full version of the game.  Now not only do you perform heart surgery, you do kidney transplants and brain transplants in different setting: including a speeding ambulance that periodically opens and in outer space.  Valve even got in the act, incorporating a Medic/Heavy TF2 level.  It went on sale and I decided for 6 bucks I'd give the full version a shot.

Oddly? This one's way harder and the excess of tools seem to be less useful than they were in the demo.  But the sense of humor and addictiveness are still there.  Any game that gives you an achievement for flipping off the patient I'm all for.  The only beef I have is my mouse keeps randomly kicking out midlevel and I have to restart.  Im currently working on finding a fix for this and if anyone knows please fill me in.

Give this one a go if you got the spare change around.  Even better, record yourself playing and post it to youtube so we can laugh at your rage!

Back to killing patients,
-Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment