Sunday, April 21, 2013

Borderlands 2 DLC: Scarlett's Bounty and Torgues Campaign of Carnage




So remember how I wrote about Borderlands 2 when I was 9 hours in?


I'm now at 137 hours and its one of the better gaming experiences I've had recently.  I haven't been this addicted to a game since I got my hands on Arkham City.  Everything I said in my first review is still true.  This game is great.  Funny, irreverent, and ever expanding.  My buddy IMed me one day and was like "uhh season pass of borderlands 2 is only 10 dollars today."  For you uninitiated, DLC gets released periodically and you get charged extra for each piece.  Usually its a better deal to wait for a "Game of The Year" edition comes out and just pick that up.  Needless to say, I quickly clicked buy.

I haven't had great experience with DLC in the past.  Overpriced characters (I'm looking at you Soul Calibur and Marvel vs Capcom),  half the game being deemed "extra" (Looking at you Tiger Woods games.  Remember when all those courses were actually on the disk?), or the DLC being so short I feel like I got ripped off (Saints Row 3 and Arkham City, two of my favorites, are guilty of this one).

As much as I may disagree with it, I understand why companies like DLC.  Its free money.  People will buy it.  Those of us who said NEVAR eventually break down and buy it anyway.  But does that give them an excuse to throw out incomplete games and leave out key pieces?  Does it give them the excuse to half ass the DLC? Of course not.

Gearbox understood this.  They are slowly trying to compete with Valve as my favorite video game company.

This is what DLC should be.  The carnage and humor you love, extended.  References galore, decorative gear, loot, EXPLOSIONS, great characters with personality.  Its literally more of the game.  And it was affordable!  Scarlett's Bounty took me about 6-7 hours to complete while Torgues campaign felt a little shorter but was not quick in any way.  Scarlett's is a desert pirate theme (with a huge Fear and Loathing Reference) and Torgues Carnage is almost like an episode of Monday Night Raw...with more violence.  I was entertained considering I grew up on WCW and still own a pirate hat.

My one beef is that Torgues was a little bit too easy.  I cruised through most of it playing on a touchpad.  This may have been my fault as I fast travelled to the area early and that put initial mobs around level 17.     I beat it and was like "Oh...ok"

Without revealing too much, next time these are on sale? Pick it up.  Both are worth it.  Just wait until you finish the main story so the mobs aren't too low for you.

I attempted the first couple of missions of Hammerlock's Hunt and was sufficiently buttfucked so it may be time to go to "True Vault Hunter" mode and gear up before attempting that again.

Back on Pandora
-Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment